Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sinatra and Jobim--A Dynamic Duo

In honor of Kanye West and Jay-Z's upcoming Watch The Throne album (yes, I know it's out on itunes now, but it officially hits stores tomorrow), I thought I'd revisit another dynamic duo:  the team of Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim.  Bossa Nova hit world-wide in the mid-to-late 60's with the team of Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz.  Sinatra jumped into the Bossa Nova craze in 1970, and recorded some beautiful songs, written by Jobim.  You can't script this team better--Frank Sinatra, arguably the greatest American singer, and Antonio Carlos Jobim, arguably the greatest Brazilian composer.  The results were magical.  I especially love their version of "Girl from Ipanema", where Sinatra starts out singing, then Jobim joins in, and they later conclude singing together. The album Sinatra recorded with Jobim is, along with Watertown, my favorite two Sinatra albums. 

No comments:

Post a Comment