Saturday, August 13, 2011

Kanye West and Jay-Z: Watch The Throne

The long anticipated Kanye West/Jay-Z album Watch the Throne, finally hit the stores Friday morning. I picked up my copy and like it for the most part, but have some mixed feelings about it.  It's great hearing Kanye and Jay-Z rapping together, on top of their game.  Upon my first two listens, there are some tracks I love ("That's My Bitch", "Welcome to the Jungle"), and some I'm not feeling ("Lift Off").  Overall, a pretty solid album, though I can't help but feel increasingly put off by the new direction much of mainstream hip hop is taking.  I'm beginning to miss hip hop the way it was, with the emphasis on the beats and rhymes.  These days, synths are more prevalent, and an electro-techno/club friendly beat is beginning to take the place of the old school sound.  While I don't mistake the genius of a producer he is, and damn he writes great hooks as well, but I miss some of the head-nod beats off of albums like Kanye's College Dropout, Late Registration, or Jay-Z's The Blueprint.  Nevertheless, Watch the Throne is a good listen and definitely worth copping.  The below track is "Welcome to the Jungle", definitely a song I'm feeling!       
  

No comments:

Post a Comment