Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Rabbits & Carrots: Soul Latino

Picked up Rabbits & Carrots 1969 release Soul Latino album a few weeks ago, considered among the times to be Mexico's answer to The Meters.  It's one of those albums that has been on my list to buy for over a year now, but I continued to put it off because, honestly, the thought of listening to a bunch of instrumental covers of James Brown, Sly & The Family Stone, Rufus Thomas songs, etc. didn't excite me too much.  I love the originals so why would I want to hear an instrumental cover?  Man, was I wrong!  These dudes take these songs and run with them.  Just great, funky, Mexican soul.  The track "Pais Tropical" is probably my favorite.  It's a cover of a Jorge Ben song, and these dudes really do a great job with it.  Check it out!
Of course I can't include "Pais Tropical" without including the original by one of Brazil's finest, Jorge Ben:

 I will probably feature a future post on Jorge Ben, who is one of my favorite singer-songwriters from the 60's and 70's, but wanted to conclude this post with another solid track off of the Rabbits & Carrots Soul Latino album, titled "Romeo y Julieta".  Has this track been sampled by someone before?  It sounded so familiar to me the first time I heard it, but couldn't recall.  Anyway, good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment