Thursday, August 4, 2011

Joao Gilberto--Truly Heavensent

Summertime is always great for Bossa Nova, as I discussed in a recent post.  I've been riding with Joao for quite a few years now, but just recently started digging even deeper into his catalog besides Getz/Gilberto and Chega De Saudade.  I've more recently been turning towards his second album, O Amor, O Sorriso e a Flor, as well as his self-titled album from 1973.  O Amor actually is probably my favorite of Joao's releases overall.  It feels a bit more put together as a whole than Chega, although there are tracks I love on his debut release, and certainly the release that is possibly the most influential album to emerge from Brazil in the 60's (Caetano Veloso and his fellow Tropicalians worshiped this album, and you can certainly hear Caetano's musical style as a cross between Joao Gilberto and The Beatles or other Brit/US rock bands from the 60's).  Joao's voice, plaintive yet expressive at the same time, his wonderful intricate guitar playing, and the arrangements of the strings--it truly is music from the heavens.  Sometimes I listen to Joao and feel that there isn't anything better than his music, especially his first few albums, when he was truly on top.  Listen to Joao Gilberto perform "Desafinado" live and tell me I'm wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment