Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rockin' the Instrumentals!


When I immediately think of great soul-funk instrumentals, I think of the obvious like Booker T and the MG's "Green Onions", The Meters "Cissy Strut" or The Incredible Bongo Band "Apache" (with the famous drum break that has been sampled by a thousand hip hop groups over the past 30 years).  Therefore, I tried to veer from the obvious and picked a few under the radar instrumentals that are great in their own right.  Check them out!

Incredible Bongo Band "Bongolia".  Probably my favorite off their s/t album because I've heard "Apache" so many times.  Good jam, especially once the horns kick in!  
Herbie Hancock "Wiggle-Wiggle", taken off of the wonderful Mwandishi Recordings.  Technically, it's considered jazz, but definitely Hancock brings out the funk on this jam:

I dig this early instrumental cut, "Rock Dirge", from Sly and The Family Stone.  It's got a good groove.  You can't go wrong with Sly, instrumental or vocal-wise! 



New Orleans great Allen Toussaint is one of my favorite musicians/singer-songwriters and I included a little funky instrumental track "Louie" from Toussaint's first solo album, Allen Toussaint.



Lastly, even this isn't at all under-the-radar, I felt I needed to put one of my favorite instrumentals of all-time on this post.  Funkadelic "Maggot Brain" off the Maggot Brain album.  Love the Hendrix-like guitar solos that float over the gently strummed chords.  Great song off a great album!

2 comments:

  1. You've got to check out the new Bongolian album knockout rockers and riffs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just took a listen to the new Bongolian album--wow! love it. thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete