Monday, July 11, 2011

A Bossa Nova Summer

The Tamba Trio with Edu Lobo in Argentina
Nothing says summer like taking a trip down Bossa Nova lane, and I have done this in abundance over the past few months, pulling out some old albums by Joao Gilberto, Nara Leao, and Edu Lobo, but also recently purchasing some Bossa Nova albums that I really dig, by the likes of Luiz Bonfa, and the Tamba Trio that I really enjoy.  Here are a few Bossa Nova albums I've been listening to recently and a selective track from each album.

1.  Charlie Byrd "Dindi", off of Brazilian Byrd.  Really hard to pick a single track from this album because none of them particularly stand out--the album as a whole just flows well.  Jazz guitarist Charlie Byrd was inspired by Brazilian music while taking a trip there, and decided to record an album based on Antonio Carlos Jobim's music. 
 2.  Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower", off of Stone Flower.  Absolutely love the compositions of Jobim, especially the instrumentals, although he has a few nice vocal tracks on this album.  What I love about Stone Flower is that the strings are toned down a bit, and it's mainly nice mixture of Jobim's guitar, with some light percussion, and horns. 

3.  Nara Leao "No Cordao Da Saideria", off of Nara '67.  I was introduced to Nara Leao's music back in the late 90's when I purchased the Tropicalia compilation Ou Panis et Circenses, as Leao had a track "Lindoneia" on that essential compilation.  I immediately fell in love with her voice and wanted to find more tracks and albums by her.  Nara '67 was the first Nara Leao album that I purchased, and I wasn't disappointed!
4.  Luiz Bonfa--unfortunately, couldn't find any tracks to upload off of this album, but here is a live version of a few tracks off of Luiz Bonfa Plays and Sings Bossa Nova Music.  I just purchased this album fairly recently, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite Bossa Nova albums of all-time.  Bonfa's guitar playing on this release is magnificent, and his vocals are perfect for his compositions.

5.  Edu Lobo "Agua Verde" off of Cantiga De Longe.  Is this Bossa Nova? Samba?  Either way, it has a gentle groove and this is one of my favorite tracks off this wonderful album (my favorite of Lobo's releases).
These aren't necessarily my favorite five Bossa Nova albums, or else a track by Joao Gilberto's Chega De Saudade, Getz/Gilberto, or something by Tamba Trio would be featured.  These are mainly five albums of the Bossa Nova genre that I've been playing a lot recently, and is perfect summer listening music.

2 comments:

  1. I have a Jobim record. I will have to pull it out and revisit it. I'm not real big on his vocals, but his songs are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree with you on his vocals. That's why I like Stone Flower so much. Mostly instrumentals, nice electric keyboards, and not as many vocals. Great album!

    ReplyDelete