Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chico Buarque: Construcao

This album has been on my regular rotation since I picked it up about a month ago.  This is the Chico Buarque I always envisioned hearing when I first heard about the wonderfulness of his music from a Brazilian gal at some party back in my college days while living in Portland over 10 years ago.  Once I found out where she was from, I remember telling her how much I loved Caetano Veloso and Os Mutantes, and she told me I needed to check out Chico Buarque's music.  Anyway, over the years I picked up a compilation of his early recordings, which was ok, but didn't really do it for me.  Since I've been turning my ears back towards the Bossa Nova, Tropacalia, and Samba sounds of Brazil over the past few months, I thought I'd give Construcao a play.  So glad I did!  Well-composed, creepy at times, lovely in others, I foresee Chico Buarque's 1971 album Construcao eventually gravitating towards the top of my list of favorite Brazilian albums of all-time.  It's a must have!  


2 comments:

  1. I'll put this on my "must check out" list. So many albums on that list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll like it dude. I promise!

    ReplyDelete