Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's Going On

We all know "What's Going On", the classic track written and sung by Marvin Gaye on his groundbreaking album, What's Going On.  It's such a powerful, well-written, and catchy song, and although it's a bit cliche to say it, it is one of my favorite soul songs ever.  You can't deny the power of it, although it has been overplayed a bit in soul circles, and actually I find Marvin Gaye's discography as a whole a bit overrated.  But What's Going On is a strong album, and the title track is an absolute classic.  Recently, I was thinking about how many different cover versions I own of "What's Going On", and it makes it all the more obvious how influential Gaye's song was. 

We all know the Marvin Gaye original:
I love the Donny Hathaway version of it, off of his 1972 album, Live.  Hathaway is one of my favorite singers of all-time, period.  He could've sang the alphabet on a recording and I would buy it.  I love this version, as Donny is playing the intro chords on a keyboard and you can hear a fan on the recording yell out "What's Going On" before Hathaway begins singing the song. 
I enjoy the Weldon Irvine version of "What's Going On", taken from his 1976 album Sinbad.  It definitely has a more jazz groove to it than the original and even without the vocals, it's still a very engaging listen. 
(Couldn't find a youtube of the track, but here's a link to take a listen)
http://www.turntablelab.com/digital/player.html?pid=90411&num=3

I love El Chicano's version of "What's Going On", recorded in 1971.  It has a similar jazz-funk feel to it that Irvine's version has, but with a Latin edge.


Lastly, Delroy Wilson is one of my favorite ska reggae singers, and his version of "What's Going On" is a pleasant listen, a reggae version with tasty electric keyboards over it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment