Monday, June 6, 2011

Gospel 45's

Recently, I've been into buying a lot of old gospel 45's.  I've been stacking up through buyers that sell them in bulk on ebay, and of the 45's I've bought recently, I've noticed that I enjoy about 80% of the tracks.  Generally, the more soulful sounding with funky instruments is the type of gospel I like the most...I can dig a well-sung a capella, but probably because of my love of the 60's/70's soul music, I tend to gravitate towards gospel that sounds like it could've been recorded at Muscle Shoals.  Here is a few gospel 45's that I purchased recently that I tend to like the most:

The Gospel Clefs singing "Open Our Eyes".  Man, I love Leon Lumpkins voice on this track.  I let the turntable repeat this track over and over again.  

I love the Dixie Hummingbirds and have a great full-length called A Christian Testimonial that I really enjoy.  This 45 is a collaboration they did with the female gospel group The Angelics.  Great stuff!


I also love some gospel by The Windy City Four, The Family Jubilees, Robert Turner, and The Angelic Gospel Singers.  Unfortunately, I just did a youtube search for them, as well as some others that I've purchased recently, and they are so obscure that I couldn't find the tracks I was looking for.  So I could only include my two favorite that I recently picked up.  So I'll end this post with a gospel-influenced track by David Ruffin, as I picked this 45 up recently as well.  He recorded this track for his second solo album after he left The Temptations.  Sure, it's not gospel, it's soul, but you can't deny the influence gospel had on Ruffin when you listen to this track.  This is my favorite David Ruffin track after he went solo.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment