Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Wednesday's Excursions (Random Eclectic Music Notes)

  • I'm really digging the new Ghostface Killah album Apollo Kids.  Technically, it's not new (came out over six months ago), but I slept on it for awhile, thinking that it was "just another new Wu-Tang solo joint".  Seriously, it's the best Ghostface album since Supreme Clientele, and I'm very suprised Apollo Kids hasn't been talked about more, as it's received mainly tepid reviewers among the critics.  Dig the track "2getha Baby", featuring a looped sample from Soul legends The Intruders:        
  • I like me some Blues at times, and I'm enjoying the new release by Milwaukee's own Tweed Funk.  The album is titled Bringin' It and it's a really nice combination of Blues, Funk, and Soul.  I dig the guitar work of JD Optekar, and the soulful vocals of Smokey.  "Black Coffee" is a tasty Blues jam--they are Bringin' It, and I'm feelin' it.  
  •  I was supposed to see the soul legend Allen Toussaint last week at the Jazz Alley in Seattle, and foolishly passed it up as it was a tough day at work, and I just didn't have the energy to muster seeing a live show that night, regardless of who was performing.  Toussaint is one of the most-respected soul figures with his work with New Orleans greats Lee Dorsey, Aaron Neville, Irma Thomas, Dr. John, among others, and above all, I love some of his solo albums, especially Love, Life, and Faith.  The track "Fingers & Toes" is one of my favorite soul jams, one of those tracks when you first hear it you get the goosebumps because of it's pure soul-pop perfection.  Sad I didn't get to see him, but I guess I always have the music at home to turn to.     
  • I'm currently reading Don Charnas book "The Big Payback", about the history and business of hip hop, from it's early inception of Enjoy Records and The Sugarhill Group, through Def Jam, Run DMC and beyond, and I'm right now reading about the early 90's era of hip hop, when it began being more prominently featured on pop radio stations for the first time.  It's an absolutely wonderful read thus far (I'm over halfway done), if you have any interest in hip hop, the history is all there in those 600+ pages...well-worth the read.                                           
  • Lastly, I wanted to sing the praises of Ethiopia's own Mulatu Astatqe.  I absolutely adore his late 60's/early 70's Ethiopian Jazz, and after years of not listening to it, for whatever reason, I've turned back to it over the last few nights, as it strangely calms me before I turn to bed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment