Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday's Latin Mix


 I've been digging on a lot of Latin music recently, especially anything on Fania Records from the late 60's/early 70's era.  Whether it's a boogaloo, a salsa, a mambo, a Latin-funk gem, I've been digging on it all.  Since Monday is generally a day that can drag on occasion, I thought, what better mix than a peppy Latin mix to spice up the morning?

1.  Lebron Brothers "Salsa y Control" off of Salsa y Control.  A good steady pace salsa album by the Lebron Brothers. 

2.  Louie Ramirez "Yambu" off of Ali Baba.  Good album, with mixture of English and Spanish songs.  Louie is also one funny cat, and mixes his sense-of-humor with great tracks. 


3.  Richardo Rey "Richie's Jala Jala" off of Jala Jala y Boogaloo.  One of my favorite Latin albums from the 60's/70's Fania era. 

4.  Ray Barretto "Boogaloo Con Soul" off of Latino Con Soul.  A great, straight-up boogaloo track.  This isn't my favorite Barretto album (that would be Acid), but Latino Con Soul is a consistently strong album track for track. 

 
5.  Perez Prado "Perdiendo La Cabeza (Goin' Out of my Head)" off of Perez Prado 70.  I got to give props to the great blog Soul-Sides, as I was only familiar with Prado's early mambo music from the 50's before I read a post over there a few months back about Prado's departure to Mexico City, and the subsequent funky, electric compositions he was experimenting with during this era.  I picked this up from Dusty Grooves, and I have to say that I dig Perez Prado 70 even more than early mambo classic albums like Havana 3 A.M. and Mambo Mania.  This track, at around 1:40, gives me the goosebumps.  Great stuff! 


No comments:

Post a Comment