Monday, May 9, 2011

Lee Moses: Raw and Rugged Soul


Picked up tons of cds and 45's over the weekend in Portland (including quite a few Latin soul and funk cds, of which I'll feature more prominently in a later post), and I was fortunate enough to find soul man Lee Moses Time and Place on cd.  Moses is a criminally underrated soul singer who only released one album under his name (ironically enough, he was backed by the Ohio Players, whom I featured on my previous post).  Time and Place is extremely difficult to find either on vinyl or cd and has been collector's item for deep soul fans throughout the years, so I have no idea how I managed to find it at Music Millenium in Portland, but no complaints here.  My immediate impressions upon listening to this album is the gravelly, rugged voice of Lee Moses, but there's a vulnerable quality to it that I like as well.    Check out "My Adorable One", one of my favorites from Lee Moses:
When hearing his voice, it's amazing that Moses wasn't as known as we should've been.  After releasing Time and Place, he performed occasionally but never recorded in the studio again.

2 comments:

  1. Love this album - we used Day Tripper on our first podcast 2 years ago..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mondo--I think I need to check out your blog more, I'm curious to hear those podcasts!

    ReplyDelete