Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Binging and Purging--Music Style!

Note:  This isn't my collection! 

Let me first say that I'm not a collector.  I'm a big fan, listener and lover of all things music, usually geared towards 60's and 70's music of all genres, most specifically soul, jazz, and anything groove-based, but I'm not a collector per se.  I know what I like and what I don't like though.  And with my collection, I generally try to keep it to one large bookshelf, and that's it, which holds up to around 900 albums.  I like to keep it this way, for my sake, and also because I promised my wife that I'll keep it to one shelf.  Once I get to where I run out of room, I'll usually go through my collection and take out around 50 albums to trade in for more music because I need my fix, and the music shopping cycle continues.  Last night, I spent a good few hours sorting through albums that I didn't feel I needed anymore.  So, what got the hack?  Albums like:  The Rolling Stones "It's Only Rock and Roll", Joe Meek "I Hear a New World", Leonard Cohen "Recent Songs", The Small Faces "The Collection", The Yardbirds "Greatest Hits Vol.1", A Tribe Called Quest "The Love Movement", and Justin Hinds & The Dominoes "Anthology", Jelly Roll Morton "The Red Hot Peppers Sessions", among over twenty other albums.  A few of these artists/bands I already own plenty of other albums of theirs, like The Rolling Stones for example, I own over 10 of their albums, and "It's Only Rock and Roll" is the one I happen to listen and enjoy the least of all.  The Tribe is my favorite hip hop group of all-time, but honestly I feel I really only need their first four albums, as their last album "The Love Movement", is pretty weak.  I thought in honor of the albums I am trading in, I would post a few tracks from a few of these albums, which are good tracks but didn't persuade me enough to keep the album.
I know these albums will find a good home, so I don't feel too bad!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, definitely my favorite of theirs. That was one of the hardest to get rid of, but honestly I only like a few of the tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got you that Jelly Roll album for christmas! WTF! Love, your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, no I still have that one. This is a different Jelly Roll album.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell yeah dude, my favorite Small Faces track! There's really only a few tracks I like by the Small Faces though, most of their work is pretty spotty.

    ReplyDelete