Friday, April 15, 2011

Song o' the day (pt. 5)---T.G.I.F

There are certain songs or albums in which every time you listen to it, it takes you into a time warp where you remember the exact time and place when you first heard it.  I remember hearing the Gino Washington album Out of This World at some random mod/scooter house party when I lived in Portland about ten years ago.  I was fresh out of college (early 20's), and digging on lots of 60's American garage and British Invasion type of stuff.  At that time, I was beginning to scratch the surface of the soul genre, owning a few soul albums, mainly the obvious ones like Marvin Gaye What's Going On, Al Green Let's Stay Together, and Otis Redding Otis Blue.  Hearing Gino for the first time that night opened some doors for me.  Out of This World was a cool combination of early garage/R&B type of stuff, which really appealed to me back then because I liked the noise, the garage-y, lo-fi guitars, and yet Gino also had a soulful voice which appealed to me as well.  These days I rarely listen to Gino Washington.  Actually, listening to the track, "Out of This World", made me realize that I haven't listened to this album in over five years.  But here I am, sitting next to my music collection, seeing the album here and looking back at Gino staring at me on the cover, and this album brings back so many memories that I can attach to that period of my life when I first discovered Gino Washington.  And I guess this is one of the main reasons we enjoy music...for the memories.  

Here's some Gino Washington for you on this Friday!  Enjoy your weekend! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment