Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thursday's 5 song mix!


Since my computer developed a nasty virus, I will not have access to it for over a week as it's being repaired, so the posting will be at a minimum over the next week.  In the meantime, thought I'd post something on my work computer to tide me over until next week.  As usual, I'm continuing to buy tons of soul music, while also sprinkling in some Latin soul albums, jazz, and hip hop albums as well.  Since I don't have a lot of time today to post anything too much in depth, I thought I'd post a short mix of a few of my favorite tracks from albums I've bought over the past few weeks.

Joe Cuba Wanted Dead or Alive is a classic early Latin boogaloo soul album.  Tracks like "Oh Yeah" and "Push Push" are considered the classic Joe Cuba songs off this album.  Below is the track "Bang Bang", the quintessential Cuba track,  very enjoyful call-and-response vocals between Joe and the band.  This track is sizzling Latin soul at it's finest!

Jimmy Hughes is a great early soul singer who was one of the first singers ever recorded by the famed Muscles Shoals Studios.  I love many of the tracks he recorded, especially during his Fame/Muscle Shoals time.  This is the track "Steal Away", probably one of my 50 favorite soul tracks of all-time.  Love Jimmy Hughes voice, kind've a higher register pitch, reminiscent of Syl Johnson, Al Green, or Ted Taylor. 
Soul singer James Carr has an interesting story, as he's an individual who should've been bigger than he was.  He got by on his singing alone, as he never learned to read or write, and struggled with mental illness.  Eventually his mental issues got the best of him, and it got to the point where he eventually could not perform anymore.   I've owned James Carr albums for over 10 years, but just recently one of his tracks started haunting me, and I've been listening to it repeatedly, "Let It Happen".  Just a beautiful song.  I can feel Carr's vulnerability in this song. 
I've always liked Irma Thomas, and had her early singles from Kent/Ace Records, Time is On My Side, but was always disappointed as I thought I would like her more than I actually had...until now, as I recently picked up Irma Thomas's Something Good/The Muscle Shoals Sesssions, and man, this is the Irma that I always expected:  Gritty vocals, great horn lines, great songs, and not as polished as some of her earlier works.  I love this!  Highly recommended, and very reminiscent of Etta James's Muscle Shoals era. 
The last track I've featuring is another Latin track by Peruvian percussionist Coco Lagos, titled "Guajira Boogaloo".  Great 60's swinging, Latin boogaloo rhythm.  Feel the beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment