Thursday, August 9, 2012

Featured Music in "The Cosby Show"

My wife and I have been watching a lot of "The Cosby Show" over the summer on dvd.  This was one of my favorite shows as a kid, and it still holds up well to this day.  Of course, Bill Cosby is hilarious--not only is he one of the greatest comedians of all-time, but he has great comedic timing in this show.  Overall, the cast was excellent as well.  The one thing I particularly noticed watching "The Cosby Show" years later, is how big of a part music was to this show (shouldn't be surprising since Cosby is a noted Jazz and Soul fan).  I watched an episode recently where the daughter Vanessa and her boyfriend Robert are grooving to Funkadelic's "Cosmic Slop" on the radio in the kitchen when Cosby comes in to see them not studying as were their intentions.  Also, I recently watched the classic episode that featured Stevie Wonder.  Stevie is riding in a limo that skids on the icy New York street and hits Denise's car.  He feels bad about the occurrence, and ends up inviting the Huxtable family to one of his recording sessions.  It's a classic episode.
There are also some classic episodes in which the family lip-syncs to soul songs.  Here is a clip of two classic Huxtable lip-syncs, Ray Charles "Night Time is the Right Time", and James Brown's "I Got The Feelin'".

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I didn't watch the Cosby show much in the 80's but I *did* listen to one of his 70's era comedy records when a kid. Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete