Thursday, August 23, 2012

D'Angelo: Voodoo

Maybe I should've titled this "Revisiting a classic" like I did with an earlier post regarding Marvin Gaye and his Here, My Dear album.  Released in 2000, D'Angelo's Voodoo is, indeed, a classic and an album I foresee withstanding the test of time.  In terms of great albums released in the 21st century, Voodoo is up there among the best.  Equal parts J. Dilla/Slum Village, with its hip hop production and loud kick-snare beats, and vocally reminiscent of Prince and Marvin Gaye, with D'Angelo's multiple falsettos flying throughout the tracks, it's a damn shame that D'Angelo hasn't been able to follow up this masterpiece.  Kind've reminds me of Kevin Shields and My Bloody Valentine, and how he was never able to follow up his masterpiece Loveless (one of my desert island albums, but that's a whole different conversation), and you know, maybe it's best that both D'Angelo and Kevin Shields didn't follow up their masterpieces (maybe partially due to drugs?), because it would've been a daunting task.  I do realize that D'Angelo has played a few shows sporadically over the past ten years, so there's always a possibility that he may release something in the future.  For now, we are left with one very solid album in Brown Sugar and one masterpiece in Voodoo, and how many musicians can say that regarding their catalog?

    

4 comments:

  1. I think this dude might workout a little at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he certainly did! He's put on pounds over the past 12 years since "Voodoo" came out--not in as good of shape these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best records I've ever heard. Certainly one of the most organic projects produced in the last 25 years, in my opinion. I mean the sound of the instruments ... makes you feel like you're in that room.

    Proof that great musicians, an interesting harmonic and melodic constitution, other-dimensional melodies ... oh and sick-to-death bass can change the world. At least my world.

    All around inspiring.

    Nice blog. Looking forward to jamming next Friday, Brad.

    bear_field

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andre,

    Yeah, I agree with you on the overall sound...it does give you the feeling that you're in the room when they were recording this album, and of course, great musicianship as well. A very inspiring record indeed. Also, thanks for the compliment on the blog! Looking forward to jamming next Friday as well.

    -Brad

    ReplyDelete