Friday, August 3, 2012

Holding You, Loving You

I'm not generally a big fan of P-Funk.  I mean, I like the early Osmium era of Parliament, and their album Mothership Connection is pretty good as well, but I have to be in a particular mood to really feel it.  The first three Funkadelic albums are amazing, but is that really P-Funk?  It's more psychedelic, Hendrix-inspired soul-rock music and Funkadelic didn't really get down and funky until later on.  Jazz-Funk pianist Don Blackman's self-titled 1982 solo album has some good groovers on it, most notably "Holding You, Loving You".  The album Don Blackman doesn't always hit on all cylinders as a whole, but I can always get with that third track, "Holding You, Loving You" (later sampled by J Dilla on Slum Village's classic album Fantastic Vol. 2).

No comments:

Post a Comment