Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tomorrow is the First Day of the Rest of My Life

The Free Design 


This is the second post in a row that I've gone away from the usual soul-jazz type of thing, but I've been grooving on a lot of psych pop-folk sounds from the 60's recently.  I have two albums by the psych-pop group The Free Design.  Kites Are Fun is probably my favorite of their albums, but I also love their Stars/Time/Bubbles/Love album.  Released in 1970, the album is a little more funky then their past releases.  The second track on the album, "Tomorrow is the First Day of the Rest of My Life", blows my mind.  It begins as a funky instrumental, then turns into a great pop song featuring the melting vocals of the Dedricks, and lastly, the song concludes in a jazzy, echo-y groove.  Definitely one of my favorite pop songs from the 60's (and there are so many to choose from).  One of pops treasures, The Free Design are one of the few bands that melt my heart whenever I listen to them, but especially when listening to "Tomorrow is the First Day of the Rest of My Life". (must note:  the below clip is missing the first minute of the song, the funky instrumental section that really adds to the song in its entirety)



2 comments: