Friday, May 4, 2012

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

It's a very sad day in the world of hip hop, and pop music in general.  When hearing this morning of Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys (a.k.a. "MCA") death, I immediately felt like a big piece of my childhood was lost for good.  I  remember when "Fight for Your Right to Party" was all over MTV.  I remember first hearing Paul's Boutique and not necessarily being blown away initially but by the fourth or fifth listen, fully realizing it's brilliance.  I remember first digging Check Your Head and being amazed, as I didn't know they could play INSTRUMENTS!  I remember Ill Communication in the summer of 1994, going into my senior year of high school, and playing the crap out of that album while driving around my hometown of Bellingham, Washington.  I remember Hello Nasty, another summer album of mine in college, staying alone in a three bedroom campus home at the University of Portland, and playing that album and jumping around the house by myself (probably drunk).  I must admit that I haven't listened much to their recent releases, heard good things about Hot Sauce Committee but just haven't checked it out. However, the Beasties have always been a part of my life, no matter what musical phase I was going through in my life.  They were one of my introductions into the world of hip hop, and I got into the game because with them, along with Public Enemy.  I still pull out Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head at least once or twice a year.  I will always love their music, and will miss Adam Yauch.
      


No comments:

Post a Comment