Thursday, May 24, 2012

Another Booker T. Joint

I know I featured Booker T & the MGs in a post not too long ago in regards to their Beatles Abbey Road homage album McLemore Avenue, but I've been listening to much of their catalog quite frequently recently, as I have most of their 60's and early 70's releases, with the exception of Uptight.  It also felt right to feature another post on the MGs, as longtime bassist Duck Dunn passed away just recently.  I would have to put their 1971 release Melting Pot among my favorite of their albums.  The first time I ever heard the title track, I immediately realized that I did know this song long before I ever "knew" that I knew it, as I was familiar with Big Daddy Kane sampling it on his track "Another Victory".  As much as I love their earlier releases like Green Onions and Soul Dressing, Melting Pot speaks to me the most, probably because it is more groove-oriented then their previous releases.  Here's the real deal, Booker T & the MG's "Melting Pot".
 Here's Big Daddy Kane "Another Victory" (sampling "Melting Pot").

     

2 comments: