Tuesday, March 27, 2012

San Francisco Treats (Part I)

I spent three nights in San Francisco with my wife over the weekend.  I was mainly there for a conference, but also got to do some music shopping.  I came away with 12 new albums, some I've always been familiar with, and some not as much, but all were on my wishlist to pick up.  Places like Amoeba Records, and Rasputin Music in San Francisco were my main stores of purchasing.  So what did I pick up?  A crazy avant garde Brazilian album by Lula Cortes and Ze Ramalho called Paebiru (see above picture of album cover), among many others of Soul, Jazz, Hip Hop, and Latin nature.  For the last four days of this week, I'll focus on three tracks from three albums each day that I purchased over this past weekend.   Here are three of the twelve albums I purchased over the weekend, along with a track from the album:

1.  Lula Cortes e Ze Ramalho Paebiru--crazy, mysterious, Brazilian music released in 1974.  At times Jazzy, folky, and experimental, sounds all at once, Paebiru is certainly an intriguing listen.
2.  Diamond and the Psychotic Neurotics Stunts, Blunts, & Hip Hop.  Diamond D shines on his solo debut, released in 1992, and this album shows how much he was one of the most underrated rappers/producers in the game.
 3.  Ramsey Lewis Funky Serenity.  The only Ramsey I owned up to this point was the magnificent Sun GoddessFunky Serenity was released just prior to Sun Goddess, so the feeling is similar (though without Earth, Wind, & Fire helping out).

No comments:

Post a Comment