Thursday, March 8, 2012

Giving Up

Reading the website "Soul Strut" and their daily countdown of the Strut 100 got me inspired to pull out Donny Hathaway's self-titled album, which I haven't listened to in over a year.  It is listed as #98 on the Strut 100 countdown.  The album Donny Hathaway, Donny's second solo release is, in my opinion, over half of a great album, with a few lesser tracks.  I would say the first half of the album is mind-blowing, from "Giving Up", "A Song For You", "Magnificent Sanctuary Band", and "She Is My Lady".  The gospel-tinged closer, "Put Your Hand In The Hand" is inspiring as well.  Overall, an almost-flawless album, maybe not as good as Everything is Everything (which is flawless), but very close.  A man with a voice from the heavens, Donny Hathaway was one of our greatest soul singers, but I'm even more impressed by his vocal phrasings...the way the words emerge from his voice, and the urgency in which they are delivered.  Here is my favorite track on his 1971 release Donny Hathaway.  It gets me every time.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment