Monday, March 21, 2011

Prince Buster and March Madness

 I'm a big college basketball fan, mostly of the Washington Huskies, so it has been a painful day for me.  The Huskies lost in the NCAA Tournament to the North Carolina Tar Heels 86-83.  They played hard, but alas, it was not meant to be, and as of this afternoon, their season has come to a close.  They call the NCAA basketball tournament "March Madness" because it is just that, pure basketball madness, bliss and agony, depending on your favorite team.  March Madness is single-elimination (lose and you're out)  and arguably the 68 best teams in college basketball fight it out over the month of March.  I'm still hoping that someday I'll see my Huskies in the Final Four, as they've come close on a few occasions.  Maybe someday!

Anyway, watching March Madness unfold over this weekend kept reminding me of the early ska great, Prince Buster, and his track "Madness".  Their was a time I used to listen to Prince Buster almost daily, and thinking about that track while watching almost four days straight of college basketball made up want to pull out two albums of his singles that I have.  Prince Buster is up there with Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan, and Alton Ellis as my favorite early ska-reggae singers.

Prince Buster reminds me of summertime in Seattle (no better place to be in the summer!)  drinking Red Stripe beer and chilling in the sun.  Here he is, singing "Madness", Kingston, Jamaica's great, Prince Buster!

2 comments:

  1. I remember that summer listening to Ska/ Rocksteady/ Calypso, playing pool and drinking red stripe on your roof... the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's totally what I was thinking about when posting this!

    ReplyDelete