Thursday, March 17, 2011

In Honor of St. Patty's Day, a little Green for ya!

I've been listening to Al Green today in honor of St. Patty's Day (Green--color of St. Patty's--get it!).  I love all of his 70's albums, and of course Let's Stay Together, I'm Still in Love with You, and Call Me are great albums, but I've been listening to his first few albums recently, mainly this one:

and this one:
It's interesting to hear the early Green stuff--the Hi Records "sound" hasn't been solidified yet (the Willie Mitchell produced sound), so these two albums are definitely more raw than his later 70's albums.  Al's voice is more unrestrained, going into falsettos and yelps, whereas albums like Let's Stay Together, his vocals are definitely more restrained.  Check out this track, "Get Back Baby" off of Al Green is Blues, to hear the more unrestrained Al.
I probably like his next album, Al Green Gets Next to You, a little bit better, and you begin to hear Green establishing his trademark Hi Records sound.  The Doors cover "Light My Fire" is an interesting listen, as Green takes it to a place that I would've never thought before.  Dig the beginning verses of monologue by Al before he starts into the song (please ignore the cheesy NASCAR video that accompanies the song):
Always go green...Al Green.   Happy St. Patty's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment