Monday, April 8, 2013

Szabo Songs

I've been listening to lots of Gabor Szabo over the past few months, grooving to the instrumental sounds of the Hungarian-Gypsy guitarist.  Years ago I was given a copy of Spellbinder, and somehow it didn't quite connect with me at the time.  I wasn't until recently when I picked up both Jazz Raga and Dreams (especially Dreams) that my mind began getting blown.  I've also recently turned back to Spellbinder and can't believe that I didn't love it when I first heard it years ago.  Here are a few of my favorite tracks off of Dreams:


Cop this album Dreams if you can, listen to it with the lights out, and your mind will be blown. 

Also, Jazz Raga is great and was reissued by Light In The Attic a few years ago.  Well-worth picking up, as besides Szabo's gypsy guitar, it also features some great sitar flourishes throughout the album.  "Walking on Nails" features a rare vocal courtesy of Szabo himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment