Wednesday, October 10, 2012

45 Focus: Doo-Woppin' with The Flamingos

I'm not necessarily a big fan of doo-wop, though I certainly have a lot of respect for it, as it is a precursor to soul music.  In fact, many of soul's greatest artists originated some the roots of doo-wop, including the likes of Marvin Gaye, who got his start in a doo-wop group as a teenager in Baltimore.  One of my favorite 45's that I own is by The Flamingos,  "I Only Have Eyes For You"/"Goodnight Sweetheart".  "I Only Have Eyes For You" is an obvious classic, and one of doo-wop's most popular songs, generally featured on most doo-wop greatest hits compilations.  However, "Goodnight Sweetheart" is my favorite track by The Flamingos, and probably my favorite doo-wop track of all-time.  I've always loved The Flamingos haunting melodies, drenched with reverb backing vocals and accompanied by a gently strummed guitar.  "Goodnight Sweetheart" is a sentimental favorite, as it is a track that I occasionally play while slow dancing with my 2 year old before he goes to bed.     


1 comment: