Monday, July 9, 2012

Al Green: The Belle Album

I love Al Green, and have gone through different phases in my life where I've leaned towards a particular album of his as my favorite. In my early, Al Green listening years back in college, I definitely leaned towards Let's Stay Together, and I'm Still in Love With You.  Then later on, I listened to Call Me, then started digging the rawness of his early albums like Green is Blue, and Al Green Gets Next To You.  As of this past year, if someone would ask me my favorite Green album, I would now have to say The Belle Album (with I'm Still in Love With You, and Let's Stay Together, in close second and third).  Sad to say, but I largely ignored this album until this past year, mainly because I judged by the cover that it may be a wrong turn into disco for Al (not dissing disco, as I like me some disco--but Al Green doing disco wouldn't sound too promising to me).  How wrong was I!  Great, great album, especially the opening title track.  It's smoky and sultry, but what Al Green track from the 70's isn't?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment