Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Mohawks: The Champ

Picked up The Mohawks on cd last week.  I've been familiar with their hit "The Champ", but wasn't aware (until google) how often that song has been sampled.  Now, it makes sense when realizing that I own albums by Redman, Eric B & Rakim, EPMD, Edan, KRS-One, and De La Soul, that I listened to frequently back in college, in which the "The Champ" has been sampled.  And of course, Onyx's hit "Slam" back in high school, where they took the chorus of "The Champ".  Anyway, the album The Champ is a good listen beyond just the title hit.  Alan Hawkshaw, the British composer and performer who has done some great funky Library music from the 60's (see the compilation Bite Hard for some of his funky solo instrumentals), is the main man behind The Mohawks, with the rest of the band featuring various session musicians.  I love Hawkshaw's Hammond Organ playing, can't get enough of that sound.

4 comments:

  1. I'm the bass player

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Les,

    Let me say that I really enjoy your playing on this albums very much! Thanks for stopping by!!

    -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les. my Neighbour in Barnet was the guy who did the vocal part "champ", he is a Jamaican singer who wnet on to make reggae in the 80s in london and then became a welder.
    price aley is his artist name
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fitz, thanks for the info, as I had no idea who dd the vocal to "The Champ" and was always curious

    ReplyDelete