Saturday, February 26, 2011

One of the best compilations I've heard in awhile....

Great, great late 60's NY Latin soul comp, quickly becoming at the top of my list of most played albums the past few weeks.  I've just gotten more into NY Latin Soul recently...It started with this:

Then this...
Then this and this...(both good comps of early latin funk and soul Joe Bataan)

Then finished off with this...
I love this Pete Rodriguez album, but I gotta say that I like the Bataan albums a bit more.  Bataan has a charming style to his music--songs are about going on a subway, getting Chinese food, checking out girls, etc.  Bataan also sings a bit off-key, which I find to be endearing as well.  But there's a real soulful funk to his music.  Rodriguez has a great groove, and of course, "I Like It Like That" is a great track--my Ecuadorian wife recalls hearing this song at a young age.   She prefers the Pete Rodriguez stuff--it is more polished though still really funky/soulful.  You can't go wrong with early Bataan or Rodriguez, and the "The Soul of Spanish Harlem" I recommend highly as well!  Here's a track clip of a Pete Rodriguez and Joe Bataan below.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment