Thursday, March 29, 2012

San Francisco Treats (Part III)

For Thursday, I'm focusing on three more of the twelve albums I purchased over this past weekend in San Francisco.  Starting with Eddie Palmieri's Harlem River Drive.

1.  Harlem River Drive Harlem River Drive--Eddie Palmieri's Harlem River Drive album was released in 1971, and is probably one of my favorites from the Latin 60's/70's soul era.  If someone asks you how to classify Latin Soul, is the one of the albums I would put on (along with Joe Bataan Subway Joe, and Ray Barretto Acid). 

2.  Donny Hathaway In Performance--At last, my Hathaway collection is complete!  In Performance is the last of Hathaway's albums that I didn't have up to this point.  At first listen, I'm not sure I like it as much as his other live release, Live, as it doesn't quite have that energy (second listen--pretty damn close).  It's still really, really good though because, you know, it's Donny Hathaway. 

3.  Les McCann & Eddie Harris The Swiss Movement.  I already know this album well, and had it on vinyl previously, but it wasn't the best copy so I needed a new one.  Great duo in McCann and Harris, although I may like Les McCann Invitation to Openness and Layers, and Eddie Harris The Electrifying Eddie Harris a bit better.  Close call though, every album I mentioned by these two are great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment